Lizzy Bennet


assorted-color thread in bowl beside three roses on two hardbound books






Almost Victorian how we 
meet, Lizzy Bennet. Civilities
dictated by Whimsical Worlds;
words groping for letters
from the future. 

Almost Victorian how we
meet, Lizzy Bennet.
Two autumns past, the 
last time we had
seen each other's ink-
stained epitaphs.

Two autumns past, our
last bodily contact permitted, 
allowed, avowed by the 
socially sacrosanct rulebook.

You had your Mr Collins
back then, and a certain 
Fitzwilliam in your head.
And I with Bingley's 
Sister. All of Netherfield's
Balls stacked together however
couldn't make up for
what you had taken
away, Lizzy Bennet.

And I know for
sure that I can
never be your Darcy,
for my existence is
beyond these pages, trailing
lightly behind your chaise
in the last coach
of the first metro.

I'm leaving, running away,
Lizzy Bennet.

For another autumn, till
this world, your Victorian
Delhi allows me to 
enter again.

And I know I
shall be allowed to
know about what it
takes to be your
Darcy.
And then of course
It'll be your turn
to shun me, to 
turn me away.

And then there will
not be a volume- II.
For autumns don't last
forever And I, again
would understand that nothing
changes ever.

This is not a love poem,
Lizzy Bennet.
It's an ode to
your permanence and a travesty
of my insignificance. For 
who am I to
own you in my
thoughts.

Farewell,
Lizzy Bennet,
Till you hear my 
chaise again, coming for
your window, draped in
dead lilies.

Comments