A Failed Rebellion of Light



I was born
Thrown rather
In this universal mud.
The gossamer of pure thoughts
Made muddy by the collision.
Fate was just another game.
I learned to call it ‘angst’
Read of it as ‘angoisse’
Made it my own,
My possession,
And clung to it.

I was not born this sclerotic.
I learned to adapt to inflexibility.
Convalescence, for me, was a myth
And so was this angst for the world.
But then the world thrives on schadenfreude
Doesn’t it?
Fretting was breathing
My limbs respired
And I walked further.
Discovered nothing but
Everything the road promised itself to
Be, it was naught.

A tautological phrase
Summed up my life.

The jetsam of my jarring
The flotsam of my feelings
Was fodder to the people.
They ate themselves
Consuming my surreal minutiae
Of a dissected orchid.
My only source of pride was
I, being an anachronism.
It is strange how being an outcaste of time
Gave me pleasure
My personal, karmic schadenfreude
To time.
A precocious savant
Budding and building
I thought of myself.

But of course
Playing the pawn in a game of rooks
I had given up.
Submitted
To the angst.

A much awaited paroxysm,
A paroxysm of light
Gleaming and burning through
The night’s reflection in a
Shallow lake was needed.

A redoubtable flourish
Of fresh water
Pouring perennially
From the immortal source of life.

But all that I was left with
Were my own encomiums for myself.

So
My limbs lay limp
My frown did frown
And I being the anachronism in angst
Withdrawing from the rebellion
Made my way home.
Happy
And
Defeated.

Comments