A plebeian in a microwave


The burning of my favorite books
Was louder than I had imagined.

The night plays with her forest
And weaves us dreams, the beguiling color
Of faded memory.
And one such memory , my personal
Surviving anthology
Still is etched in
Indelible marker
While I see my books being burned.

And the tale unfolds
As each crackle of a burnt wood
Parses out my pain
In verbose virtuosity.

The year is AD 112
And I a common Roman Plebeian
With my head up high
And dreams up higher.
I have no voice
However.
And as I have heard from you people
The ‘Hash tag generation’
My voice has become dimmer, fainter
With each passing of a century.

I still fiddle with my parched inkpot
While I see you fidgeting with each of your
Broken keys
Making sounds as mechanical
As those to come in 1867.

I still walk up to the citadel
With my comrades hand-in-hand
To shout for my birthright-
The final abrogation.
While I see you from my corner window
At my cobbled street
In another window,
Writing furiously
To addresses non-existent.

I am forced to intervene
Don’t mistake this for an
Invidious rant on my behalf.
It’s sad in its essence.
Sadder than your dearth of
Online followers.

Don’t mistake this
For an apocryphal anecdote
For it is as real
As your latest filter
On your latest post.

Now let me watch my books being burnt
In arrant tranquility,
In bewildering peace.

And let me wait for the cinders
To finish whatever they think they’re doing
So that I prepare my front camera
For a selfie with the
Ashen ground
Painted with whatever’s left of
My books



Comments